I have been meaning to gather and share a list of my current favorite podcasts for a WHILE! But alas, life with a toddler is busy busy and time seems to slip away each and every day. By the time I sit down at night to have a moment to myself I usually end up falling asleep within 10 minutes (unless we are watching Parks and Rec – our current Netflix binge #marriage). Also, in reference to the title of this post – in no way do I think I am not a nerdy person/think there is anything wrong with being a nerd…I have a blog.
But anyway, podcasts! They sure seem to be all the rage right now, huh? I honestly feel like for once in my life I was ahead of the curve and into something trendy before it was trendy! How cool am I!? (As for pleather pants and jellies, I wore those two trends far past their trendy phase. Can’t win ’em all.) But if I am being completely honest, my husband was the first person to introduce me to podcasts. A little tangent to appease your curiosity: we started listening to podcasts almost three years ago. Like I said, Eric was into them far before I was and he would find really interesting science/history podcasts for us to listen to when we would make the 8 hour drive down to New Orleans when visiting family. I really thought that, that was what podcasts were – little interesting lessons to listen to while trying to stay awake in the car and I never really pursued them beyond our Texas-Louisiana jaunts. Well fast forward a year (two years ago) and Eric started telling me about a few newer podcasts that he was listening to, some comedy, some informational, but a bit different than what I was used to; so we added these shows into our road trip mix. Then we started taking our birthing classes and found ourselves in the car for about 20-30 minutes each week, driving back and forth to the hospital – we decided to listen to one of my now favorite podcasts (Sawbones – medical history podcast, listed below) in the car to spark our conversation and take our minds off of life’s current stresses, while always making a stop to get ice cream on the way home.
Now here we are today, while I still listen to some of my husband’s podcast recommendations I have been venturing out more on my own and discovering this new beautiful world of people who are wanting to share a little bit of themselves for all to hear in the hopes that it will bring someone some help in someway, or at least a good laugh.
Here is my current favorite list of podcasts – I separated them by a general category in case you are looking for something in particular to listen too! I’m always finding new podcasts to listen to as well and if I find anything I’ll be sure to share!
- The Girl Next Door Podcast – two next door neighbors sit down and chat about a particular topic pertaining to their lives every other week. They also enjoy a good cocktail and share the recipe as well as their local neighborhood news. I always love listening to these girls, it always feels like a coffee date between friends and leaves me feeling refreshed, inspired, and positive!
- Real Simple Podcasts – My favorite magazine meets my favorite form of listening media. It really couldn’t get much better.
Kids & Family
- Edit Your Life Show – a podcast about simplification and editing what is unnecessary from your life
- One Bad Mother – this is technically categorized under Comedy – but it is a parenting podcast done by two hilarious ladies. They always have great topics + fantastic guests (there is profanity used in this podcast just a warning:)
- Mom and Dad are Fighting – the editors of Slate magazine discuss the latest parenting topics
- Messy Parenting – Catholic marriage and parenting podcast hosted by a wonderfully funny and entertaining married couple with an abundance of parenting wealth and knowledge to share
- Totally Married – a very real couple discusses the ups and downs of their marriage as well as answer relationship advice questions
- Matrimoney – one of the girls from The Girl Nextdoor Podcast has a show with her husband in which they talk about their marriage/relationship as well as discuss their personal finances very openly. I honestly hate talking about money, and they both are so positive and upbeat about finances that I can’t help but keep listening!
- Sexy Marriage Radio – sex and marriage, etc (pretty self explanatory from the title;)
- NPR Popculture Happy Hour – a weekly roundup from NPR about books, movies, music, television, comics and culture. For a mom who feels out of the loop pretty much all of the time – this podcast helps me stay somewhat relevant
- The Nerdist – really solid interviews
- The Gilmore Guys – two hilarious guys talking about Gilmore Girls. One of the guys is a die hard fan and is introducing the show to his friend for the first time. They have also had some of the former cast on so the fangirl in me has just been dying.
- My Brother, My Brother and Me – comedy/advice show put on by three brothers
- Bachelor(ette) Reality TV RHAP Ups – because I have no shame and am addicted to the Bachelor and it’s plethora of reality tv goodness. Two girls chat about the weekly episodes and say everything you were thinking while you watched on Monday night.
- Sawbones – a medical history/comedy podcast put on by a husband and wife (who is a doctor) – the husband is actually one of the brothers from the above podcast My Brother, My Brother and Me
- RadioLab – interesting popculture and science investigations (if you were a fan of Serial I feel like you would be a fan of this podcast)
- InterBrews – craft beer/brewing podcast (brewing is a science which is why I put it under this category;)
- Caritas – a new podcast being produced by two blogger friends! They are discussing living life and loving in the every day. I just recently had the privilege of being interviewed for their show! Check them out!
- Fountains of Carrots – two of my favorite Catholic bloggers have joined forces to create a show in which they discuss faith, books, culture, etc. This is another show that always leaves me feeling inspired and positive and like I just had a good, long, inspirational chat with a friend!
- Building Bridges – podcast about staying connected and inspired in every day life.
- This Inspired Life – Catholic motherhood/parenting show
- The Lively Show – podcast about finding and creating an intentional life. This show covers a lot of ground – from personal habits to parenting to relationships and careers.
Happy Listening! What podcasts are you currently listening to? I would love to hear any and all recommendations!
6 thoughts on “Podcasts…not just for nerds anymore!”
I will be testing out almost all of these!! I love podcasts & they are perfect for when you are on the go or working out! Have you listened to Serial?? I definitely recommend that! I listen to This American Life which has some cool history stories!
LOL we are also binge watching Parks & Rec– on season 6!
Nick’s been trying to get me into podcasts for a while now. We listen to them when we go to Houston and he tries so hard to find one I’ll like! Maybe I will listen to some of your suggestions and try a little harder 🙂
Thank you so much for including The Lively Show in this awesome line up of podcasts! : )
Of course! I absolutely love your show – keep up the awesome work! 🙂
Joanna – wow, thank you so much for this amazing list of podcasts!! I seriously just subscribed to 5 of them. I cannot wait to listen!! And thanks so much for including my podcast here! So glad you like it! 🙂
Joanna – wow, thank you so much for this amazing list!! I seriously just subscribed to 5 of them. I cannot wait to listen!! And thanks so much for including my podcast here! So glad you like it! 🙂